The Takoma Park/Long Branch communities envision a vibrant and prosperous, connected community where people feel safe and comfortable interacting and trading with each other in commercial and residential spaces in environmentally sensitive ways.
- Local business: Locally owned and independent businesses form the basis of the business sector and maintain reciprocity with community needs.
- Information and training: Businesses and Entrepreneurs have access to and utilize information on local markets and the training needed to be successful.
- Business support: Government, nonprofits, and academic community support the business sector and the business sector supports the community.
- Diversity: Diversity is recognized as a business asset.
- Transitions: Transitions over time are managed in a way that protects individuals, small businesses, and the community at large.
- Employment: Employment opportunities are provided for community residents, and community members have access to training to develop the skills needed to become employable.
Takoma Park and Long Branch community members want to know their neighbors and want to work with them on common projects which enhance the quality of life in their communities. This message emerged from the community strategic planning process last year and speaks to the mission and vision of CHEER. We, along with our partners [...]
What are the top priorities that should drive our community improvement efforts over the next five years? CHEER recently asked this question of about 40 community leaders representing the diversity of Takoma Park and Long Branch. From a list of 22 goals related to housing, health, and the local economy that community members have set, [...]
Takoma Park will formulate a new model for democracy. We will connect people and empower them to solve problems. We are already moving in this direction, and in coming years we will create urban agriculture and food cooperatives, local sustainable energy and recycling industries, and will foster new enterprises that use information and technology. We [...]